You are hereReading Cycling Club press report, week ending 3/4/11

Reading Cycling Club press report, week ending 3/4/11

By rod - Posted on 06 April 2011

Reading Cycling Club press report, week ending 3/4/11

Thames Velo Road Race

Taking the start line at the 68km Thames Velo Spring RR (3/4/W/J) of 3
laps around the Gt. Milton cricuit were Simon Notley, Jun Aishima, Nick
Davies, Wayne Thomas, and Stephen Bale. From the start there were
attacks at the front that kept the pace high. Clare Hill saw the first
RCC casualty with Thomas not quite keeping up with the pace. The 2nd lap
was equally spirited with some hard pushes. Simon Notley was unfortunate
enough to puncture. Neutral service was able to get him a spare wheel
but he then had to chase to rejoin the main action of the race. By the
third lap the race had both eased slightly in terms of pace but it
hadn't settled down. On the final descent of Clare Hill there was a
nasty crash involving a few riders. Simon Notley and Jun Aishima got
through but Davies and Bale were brought to a stop. Bale said, "I
managed to chase and get back on to the peloton but was all out of place
to move up as we approached the finish." In the sprint Notley was the
highest placed Reading CC rider.

Simon Notley reports on an exciting race: "I spent the first lap working
my way up the pack, trying to stay out of trouble and out of the wind.
At the start of the second lap I was solidly in the first half of the
bunch. As we turned onto a long straight section, the group speeded up
and stretched out. I seized my chance to move further forward, making a
steady acceleration to one side of the line of riders. I reached the
front rather more easily than expected and decided to keep the power on
and rode straight off the front of the bunch. A couple of riders
sprinted across to me, but then couldn't hold their pace and dropped
back to the bunch. A few more riders bridged the gap, I tried to attack
again, but shortly the group was snapping at my heels and I eased up.
Exactly at that moment, I heard my tyre deflating and had to stop and
wait for the neutral service car to bring me a spare wheel. The bunch
was long gone by the time I got going. Fortunately, the service vehicle
was able to pace me back to the race. Just when I thought the only
excitement left was the impending sprint finish, the rider in front of
me went down heavily. I had to take to the grass verge and was lucky to
avoid ending up in a ditch, but somehow stayed upright and clung to the
group. Adrenalin pumping, I pushed on, gaining more and more places
until with 1km to go I was surging towards the front. With 500m to go I
was practically at the front, around 5th wheel. But then the sprinters
made their final kick for the line and swept me up, eventually carrying
me in around 25th place. Still, a very exciting race, great fun and an
encouraging performance."

Nick Davies: "The conditions for racing were good; it was dry and not
too windy. It was my first race of the season and so I hoped I could
handle the pace. I found the pace ok, and stayed with the bunch up until
about 3 miles to go. At this point there was a crash and I found myself
stuck behind fallen riders as the bunch carried on up the road. I tried
to chase back on, but didn't have the legs and came in a few minutes
down on the main peleton. It was frustating not to finish with the
bunch, but on the bright side I managed to avoid getting involved in the

Photo caption: Simon Notley animated the Thames Velo Spring road race
Photo credit: Guy Swarbrick

Doug Aspinall rode the 200km Bristol Ball Breaker audax which ran on a
clockwise circular route via Thornbury,Yate,Keynsham,Chew
Magna,Glastonbury with a hill on every section. He said, "My ride time
was 10hr15 at 20.86 kph average. It was a very well run event." Aspinall
also did the Willesden 300km from Chalfont St Peter. "Again there was a
high percentage of fast boys in a field of 150. The route was
Pangbourne,to Kimbridge and Fordingbridge in the New Forest then back up
via rlesford and Winnersh. Headwinds out but coming back was a breeze.
14hr07 ride time and 21.72kph. Riding in the dark is great with GPS ! "

Tour of Flanders Sportive
Greg Woodford rode the Tour of Flanders Sportive on Saturday 2nd April,
258 kms using the same route as the professionals the following day.
"Weather was superb and I rode it in a total time of 8hours 45 mins
including queuing food stops. Riding the cobbles was an interesting
experience, not able to 'float over the top' I found them massively
demanding and energy expensive. The sportive was well organized with
upwards of 10,000 riders riding a mixture of the 258 kms, 140 and 75 kms
and it was a real experience riding the pro's race circuit."

Sunday Clubrun
All groups leave Reading Market Place at 9am on Sundays.

Roderick MacFadyen
Reading Cycling Club